Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Frugal February Day 22

Got up today and went for a barefoot mile run.  Went to Tony's Department of Homeland Security presentation on immigration and how we can bring our costs down when dealing with illegal immigrants caught within 100 miles of the border.  Interesting stuff.  Afterward, I ran into Logan and he said that he could put my used cooking oil to use in his biodiesel car.  I'm going to have to get it to him.  Pretty cool that I'm not just throwing it out.

I had a breakthrough today with some data.  I've been compiling (data mining in its infant stages) info on walk scores for some homes that I have other data for.  Today I was able to run a regression with 910 observations and I got a cool result that controlling for neighborhoods really does matter when it comes to the value of walkability.  I gathered another ~900 walk scores and did the regression again...same qualitative results.  I'm now in the process of gathering 1500 more for Miami and 1500 for Winter Park.  I'm hoping to get some good stuff.  I'm having trouble with my data mining software.  It's not been able to collect even 100 observations at a time without crashing.  I'm looking into using a GUI with R in order to get a robust data mining operation.  I don't know exactly what I'm getting into, but it would be platform independent, so I could simultaneously mine from ALL of the computers that I have access to.

Didn't spend any money today.

No comments: