Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Power of Programming

I have a research assistant position now where I am currently merging lots of (big) data sets. At first, I was learning how to merge data from one file into another file. As I progressed, I needed to merge info from 67 tiny files into 1 big master set (and repeat that process for a couple big master sets...after that's complete, merge info from another different 67 data sets into the augmented original). This would have taken forever by hand, but by programming Stata, I'm able to run this through the computer in a couple hours.

The coolest part about it is that I can start the computer on number crunching before I go to class, it works while I'm in class (doesn't that mean that I'm working too?) and it's (close to) done when I get back. I also eliminate the possibility of forgetting to merge one of them in by hand. High five for technology.

No comments: