Monday, December 4, 2006

Pick of the Week

If you went to college with me, then you probably know about how I loved to share music on the network. I can't do that anymore since my network consists of all the computers hooked up in my house (and the laptops getting wireless). I decided that I would like to sort of keep a weekly suggestion going for all of you who look to me to provide you with good music.

Here's the deal: each week, I will pick a song that I like and recommend that you start to like it also. I don't know if I'll be able to post it anywhere so that you can download it, like I used to, but I could email it if you can't find it anywhere.

A selection criterion is that I cannot pick a song by an artist that is previously listed.
Disclaimer: just because I pick a song does not mean that it is my favorite by that artist. For example, my favorite AFI song is "Days of the Phoenix," but "Totalimmortal" was thematically selected during the week of Halloween.

I'm going to start with: Sergio Mendes featuring the Black Eyed Peas remixing his samba song "Mas que nada" It's off Sergio's Timeless album. It's pretty good at making you move, but it does get old after the 10th time you play it. But by that time, you should be looking for next week's recommendation.

Just to bring you up to date, here's an almost exhaustive list of my previous picks:

2005-2006
Ben Folds - The Luckiest
Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside
Days Away - That's What She Tells Me
Driving Blind - Crown
Hot Rod Circuit - Let's Go Home
Midtown - No Place Feels Like Home
Outkast - Rosa Parks, album version and Remix
Yo La Tengo - Return to Hot Chicken
Youngbloodz - Damn (aka the Martin J Sweet song)

2004-5
Badly Drawn Boy - Something to Talk About
Beautiful Mistake - Light a Match
Belle & Sebastain - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
Big Sky - Slow
Bluntside - In Loving Memory
Boy Sets Fire - Full Color Guilt
Counting Crows - Holiday in Spain
Diana Krall - Frim Fram Sauce
Dispatch - Elias
Fabolous - One Day
Foo Fighters - Up in Arms
Fran Perea - 1 más 1 son 7
Hawthorne Heights - Silver Bullet
Hey Mercedes - The Frowning of a Lifetime
Less Than Jake - Hell Looka A Lot Like L.A.
Lola Ray - She's a Tiger
Millencolin - Hellman
Northstar - Is This Thing Loaded?
Orbit - Rockets
O-Zone - Dragostela Din Tei
Radish - Simple Sincerity
Semisonic - This Will Be My Year
Stéphane Pompougnac - Clumsy (Feat. Michael Stipe)
Sublime - Scarlet Begonias
The Curve - Ride
The Decemberists - July, July!
The Streets - Has It Come To This
Vast - What Else Do I Need

2003-4
AFI - Totalimmortal
Allister - Jacob Thinks I'm Gay
Beethoven - Romance No.2 in F Major
Before Braille - a cinema spine
Better Than Ezra - Porcelain
Blink 182 - Wasting Time
Café Tacuba - Come Te Extraño Mi Amor
Coheed and Cambria - Devil in Jersey City
Dan Mackenzie - Hide Away
Fountains of Wayne - Please Don't Rock Me Tonight
Guided by Voices - Chasing Heather Crazy
Juliana Theory - Understand the Dream is Over
Lit - Over My Head
Marvelous 3 - Let Me Go
Mest - Chance of a Lifetime
Nada Surf - Inside of Love
Relient K - 17 Magazine
Sloppy Meateaters - Give Me Something
Story of the Year - Sidewalks
Stroke 9 - Washin' and Wonderin'
The Early November - I want to hear you sad
The New Amsterdams - All Ears
Vroom - Charleston

No comments: