Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Moby #1

Over the next few days, I will be sharing with you some of Moby's essays off the lyrics sheet of the Play album. There are certain points that I disagree with, but they are good essays. I will try my hardest not to make any typographical errors in any of Moby's essays and keep all the punctuation intact just like he has it. Sorry if I mess up.

"1 Fundamentalism (of any kind)troubles me. The world is too big and too intricate to conform to our ideas of what it should be like. In my experience I've found that most fundamentalists aren't so much attached to their professed ideologies as they are to the way in which these ideologies try to make sense of a confusing world. But the world is confusing, and just because we invent myths and theories to explain away the chaos we're still going to live in a world that's older and more complicated than we'll ever understand. So many religious and political and scientific and social systems fail in that they try to impose a rigid structure onto what is and inherently ambiguous world. I'm not suggesting that we stop trying to understand things. Trying to understand the world can be fun and, at times, helpful. But if we base our belief systems on the humble assumption that the complexities of the world are ontologically beyond our understanding, they maybe our belief systems will make more sense and end up causing less suffering."

No comments: