Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bike #2

When I purchased my bike about a year ago, I hoped at the time that it would be the last bike I ever bought. One thing led to another and I found myself in wont of a road bike. Most of the driving force behind that desire is the urge to complete another triathlon. Glenn is starting to ride his bike often, so I can't borrow it even for short periods of time.

I was casually searching for a bike via internet and telephone, mostly as a means of procrastination. About a week and a half ago, I came across a promising listing on craigslist. Unfortunately, the bike was listed as $550, "firm on the price." That was about double what I wanted to spend on a bike. After running the specs past Glenn, he informed me that it was an incredible deal...it must be gone after being listed for a few days. I called the guy up; he said the bike was still available.

Last Tuesday, I went to take a test-drive. I liked it. Also noticed that the guy was moving (which helped me think that he wasn't trying to pawn off a lemon). It's super light. Silver, black, and red. Zero to sixty in well, I don't think I can hit 60...but it's fast. I'm going to get those bike shoes with the cleats on the bottom that clip into the pedals and give you a lot more power.

Here are the specs:

SIZE: 60 cm
FRAME: Alpha SL Aluminum
FORK: Bontrager, carbon
WHEELS: Shimano Tiagra hubs
TIRES : Bontrager Select, 700x25c
SHIFTERS: Shimano Tiagra STI, 9 speed
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105
CRANK: Bontrager Select 52/42/30
CASSETTE: Shimano HG50 12-25, 9 speed
SADDLE: Bontrager Race Lux (but I bought a more comfortable seat for non-race riding).
SEAT POST: Bontrager Carbon
HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Sport
STEM: Bontrager Select, 17 degree
HEADSET: Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, alloy
BRAKESET: Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Tiagra STI levers
PEDALS: Wellgo (RC-713) single sided SPD clipless

No comments: