Sunday, November 1, 2009

Nike Air Vapors

When I was in middle school, I fell in love with the Nike Air Vapors, which were $100 shoes at the time. I just couldn't convince my parents to buy them for me. We came to a compromise that they would give me $40 toward the shoes because I needed new shoes and that was the most they were willing to spend for a new pair. I agreed to the deal and withdrew money I had earned by mowing yards to finance the rest of the purchase.

I got the shoes and they were the sweetest ones I'd ever worn. I wish I could find a picture of them online, but I've exhausted my searching capabilities to no avail. I was happy to wear them to PE every day and they were pretty cool. I got a lot of use out of them. After they were done for as school shoes, they turned into lawn mowing shoes until I outgrew them.

As much as I liked them and as much as I used them, I quickly realized that it wasn't worth spending $100 on a pair of shoes. I had other things to spend money on (like CDs!) and $100 shoes aren't that much cooler than $40-$50 shoes. You just might have to look around a little and find last year's model or something. I would never have learned this lesson if my parents hadn't made that deal with me. Good move on their part.

I guess I've recently purchased running shoes that are about $100, but I make way more money now than I did during middle school. I also believe that a pair of running shoes that is quality made and fits you properly can end up saving you money by preventing injury. These shoes aren't bought to be cool but rather to be functional. Plus I'm not going to outgrow them like I used to back in middle school.

No comments: