Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Softball & Accountability

I'm playing intramural softball now. Our first practice was today and our first game is tomorrow. Although we won't be practicing much, I think that there's still enough incentive to be halfway serious about the games out of respect for my teammates. I guess it's hard to play softball without a team...but you can run with or without a team.

And when I run without a team, I feel that it's not as bad if I slack because I'm not letting my teammates down. Having somebody else there for your practices/workouts holds you more accountable. This effect isn't constrained to the realm of sports, either. I have never done theater, but I think that this applies. If you stretch your imagination, it could work with grades in school (who is your team? the people in your study group.).

Even though I think I'm a fairly self-motivated person, having others to let down is an incentive to do it right. So, if you're slacking, try getting someone else (who you care about) to hold you accountable.

No comments: