Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm Really Not a Masochist

I'm not a masochist: I don't get off on pain. I don't really like it or seek it out. I'm not a wimp either. I think you already knew that. What you might not know is that there is one kind of pain that I kind of enjoy. It's not the rigors of a PhD program; it is gum pain.

I like flossing hard enough to bleed and holding it there for a minute. I like to spit out the blood afterward. Back when I was losing my teeth, I loved to push them around and add a little pressure to the gums. I guess braces weren't really enjoyable for the most part. I think the best way to get this good gum pain is by using woven floss and really getting in there. I guess that might be a big enough incentive to get me to floss more than once a week.

No comments: