Sunday, February 4, 2007

Triathlon

People have always told me that I should do a triathlon. They didn't know what they were talking about. Although I was a decent runner, I was a slow, if not inept, swimmer. Not to mention that I had NEVER been on a road bike, let alone possess the kind of bike-strength needed to do one of those 3-event races.

Recently, all that has changed. I've been riding my bike to school every day and using it to ride trails on the weekends (sometimes). I learned how to swim in college (I mean, I learned how not to drown when I was a child, but I mean swimming for distance/time without mask & snorkel or flippers). I started going to the school pool this semester, swimming once a week for an hour.

My neighbor behind me told me that there's a triathlon put on by a local running group. I looked it up, and it's a "sprint" triathlon. You swim 1/3 of a mile, bike 16 miles and run 3.107 miles. I can totally do that. The worst part is going to be the swim in COLD water...the race website recommends wearing a wetsuit!!! That and the entry fee is $55.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this new thing to do in my life. I'm working on the swimming end of it. The rest should be fine. Last week, I timed a 600m (roughly 1/3 of a mile) at 12:44. We'll see what kind of progress I can make before the race starts. I'm not going to even try to place in my age group or anything, I'm just doing this race to finish it (and for the experience).

No comments: