Thursday, June 21, 2012

Couch Surfing: Potwin, KS

I've noticed that Couch Surfing says that many people have had their last log in from Potwin, KS.  I had a surfer roll through here and asked him about it since Potwin is pretty close to Emporia.  He replied that he'd been nowhere near Potwin (not even in KS).  Ever since then, I've noticed lots of Potwin entries.  I wonder if it's something to do with placement of servers or some sort of technicality that makes it seem like people are logging in from Potwin.  Check it out for yourself and see if you can find people logging in from there.  The population of Potwin is less than 500 people, so I'm pretty sure nobody else is actually logging in from there.  There are a crapload of "hosts" from Potwin on CS but they all have 0 references, 0 friends, and no profile photo.

Is this some kind of inside joke?

I found this page on CS explaining the Potwin thing.  Apparently it's a weird thing that happens with ISPs.  You might have to click the bottom hyperlink to expand and read the explanation.

No comments: