Thursday, March 25, 2010

Krankin' It Up

I went to a new volunteers meeting yesterday at Krank It Up and I went in tonight to get some training and see where stuff is in the shop/familiarize myself with shop policies. It's pretty cool. They've got some really neat tools. I'm looking forward to getting to use some. I used the crank puller today for the first time. I also got a lesson on bottom brackets. How cool.

In order to become a full mechanic, you have to build a bike up from scratch...nothing but the frame. I'm looking forward to that challenge. I need to learn a little more about the hub/axle/wheel setup and headsets before I take that on, but Micah's taught me well over at the Green Bicycle Project and I feel pretty confident.

I'm not "switching" my volunteerism. I'm hoping to expand it. I'll still try to help out at GBP on Saturdays and add KIU on Thursdays.

One thing that's always annoyed me about KIU is the weird and not reliable hours. I think I'm going to try to volunteer on Thursdays to combat that sort of idiosyncrasy in hours.

No comments: