Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scratches, and Not the Good Kind Either

I noticed before I left BR that my rear driver door has a sizeable scratch on it. I'm sure it wasn't there before I left Tally. I was not happy when I first observed this blemish on my recent paint job. About 5 minutes later I realized that this is exactly the reason (ok, not the only reason) I don't drive a nice new car. If I have a crappy car and something scratches it, no big deal. Nice car + scratch = flip out. Nobody wants that.

I don't think that the aesthetic of my car is ruined by this scratch. I don't think it's going to open up a rust hole there by the end of the year. I don't think it's a big deal...but I did get a little upset when I first saw it. Why? Because it ruined something that was very nice (i.e. my new paint job). Now I don't think I'll care as much about the next scratch. I know that knicks and bumps are inevitable if you put your car in a parking lot. I'm cool with that.

I think this principle applies to a bunch of other aspects of life, but mostly to other posessions. We get too upset when stuff gets hurt a little. I'm talking non-functional damage. I have reason to be upset if my head gasket blows or if I crack my radiator. Scratches don't affect the driveability, so I'm fine with it.

1 comment:

Angelica said...

Hm... are you sure that's not where Leah hit my mom's car at Matt's wedding?