Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Computer

I just built a sweet new computer. This is my first post written on it. Here are some of the specs:

mobo: ATX XFX/Nvidia nForce SLI MCP
memory: 6GB
processor: AMD64 Phenom quad-core @ 2.20 GHz
hard drives: 1xSeagate 1.5TB (with heatsink), 1xWD500GB, both SATA
Optical drives: 2xHP DVD/CD burner with LightScribe
gigabit ethernet (although that doesn't do me so much good at my house)
2x120mm fans: 1 on front sucking air in, 1 in rear blowing it out
650W power supply
all kinds of (currently) unused expansion ports
6 integrated SATA controllers which are giving me problems right now
integrated video (DVI, HDMI, VGA)
plenty of space to add more.

The case has a clear side and some vents in the clear side so I can see what's going on. Currently, I had to install an IDE hard drive in order to install the OS. I'm using Ubuntu on this computer and I'm currently loving the OS and I imagine it will only get better as I grow more used to it.

Overall, I thought the computer would be faster. I thought that applications like OpenOffice would load faster. Don't get me wrong, it's way faster than my old computer, but I don't think it's what I thought it would be.

No comments: