Friday, January 25, 2008

On Why Being Bored Makes You Lame

Being bored makes you lame. That's right...are you bored? Then you're lame. Don't believe me? Ask my brother. Still don't believe me? Ask my mother.

Hopefully you're actively involved in reading this post hence not bored.

The basic idea is that you should be able to find something engaging to do if you are not lame. On the spur of the moment, you can read or fix something or go somewhere or talk to someone. Do research, make plans, or volunteer. You can workout or do homework or yardwork, alternatively, start (or continue) writing the great American novel...maybe cook or eat, maybe play or listen to music. Most of the above activities can be accomplished without anyone else's help; however friends help you not be so lame (as long as you don't hang out with lame people).

I think the last time I was bored was for about 4-5 hours back in high school. I was suffering from a post-good-time low. I was overstimulated and the comedown was pretty bad. I can't remember what I started doing to get over the boredom, but I'm sure it was an activity. Basically, it's hard to be bored if you're doing something (worthwhile/meaningful and not dull/repetitive). If you tell me to do X when I get bored, don't expect me to do X (I might do it anyway, without being bored).

I concede that we all possess the capacity to be bored, but the more creative and driven among us (me being of the latter persuasion) never fulfill that capacity.

No comments: