Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Frugal February Day 5

I spent $208.34 on graduation related junk today.  There was a $10 savings if I bought stuff before tomorrow, so it made sense to save the money on something that I was definitely going to get anyway.  I ended up with 25 announcements and thank you cards.  I didn't think that I needed to send announcements.  I think that everyone who knows me well enough will know that I'm graduating.  I feel like they're a plea to send me money or something.  However, both my parents said that I should send them to select people.  I guess some people like to hold on to that sort of thing for some reason.

In the name of frugality, I cut my own hair.  I normally cut it when it's short, but today I trimmed the sides and the top is a little too long.  If I get a fly out, then I will get it cut by a pro.  Over time, the relative length between to top and sides will equalize a bit.

Now I just have to wrap up my dissertation and get it to my committee by Feb. 19.  That's a manageable task but I will have to put in some more serious time and effort on it.  It's mostly just clarifications and citations and cleaning up type stuff.  After that I'll have a month to prepare for the defense.  Some time in the coming weeks I hope to get some calls about job applications.  I'd like a fly out from a place I already interviewed at, but a new interview would be welcome too.

No comments: