Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Triathlon

I guess you might be curious how my first triathlon went.

I think I had a pretty good race. I didn't know what I was doing, so I just copied everyone else (like racking my bike in the transition area). The swim was so cold that I couldn't breathe normally. I also didn't swim straight and ended up going probably an extra 25m or so. My first transition time was incredibly slow, but that didn't bum me out. My friend let me borrow his road bike, and I was passing people going up hills on the entire course. The only bikers that passed me were on the $4,000 bikes with aero-bars and 2-ounce wheels. I can live with that. Nobody passed me on the run. My 5k time was 20:59...I wanted to be under 20, but that's not too bad. I felt crappy right after the finish. After a visit to the bathroom, I felt a little better. Got a massage, then decided that I could have gone farther. I think I want to do an olympic distance tri next. That's a 1500m swim, 40k bike, and 10k run. My sprint yesterday was swim 1/3 mile, bike 16 miles, run 5k. I would have to train more for the swim in the longer race, but I think that would be pretty cool. I'm definitely signing up for this race next year!

I wasn't even sore on Sunday. It must have been a good massage. I encourage anyone who has been thinking about doing a tri to register for one and go for it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Completeing a triathlon officially makes you my hero!