Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fossil's "Water Resistant" Watches

I got a new watch today.  I'm not the biggest fan, but it'll do...It's water resistant to 5 ATM (50m).  The manual says not to swim or skin dive with it.  WTF??  If it's water resistant to ~160 feet, then why can't I swim around in it?  These activities are only ok for watches rated to 10-20ATM according to the manual.  Also, the watches rated at 3ATM say that they're OK for light spray, perspiration, light rain, etc but NOT for bathing, swimming, or skin diving.

What's the point of rating a watch as water resistant to a certain depth if you can't wear it down to (almost) that depth?  I think it's misleading and I would not have purchased this watch knowing that.  I used to have a Fossil Blue watch rated to 100m (or was it 50?  I can't remember).  It never had any problems.  I understand that they're not dive watches, but a water resistant watch rated to even 1ATM should be able to withstand a back yard swimming pool.  Otherwise where's that number come from?

No comments: