Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mike Rowe

If you don't already know, Mike Rowe is the star of the Discovery Channel's show Dirty Jobs. Mike Rowe is a badass. He just jumps in to all those dirty jobs. He doesn't care if stuff smells bad or makes you sore the next day. It seems like he's the antithesis of the common complainer who seems so common this day in age. I think he shows us an important aspect of the economy we live in. There have to be people who do the jobs that most of the rest of us don't want. It makes me sick to hear people bitching about their air conditioned job where they have to basically show up and fill space while performing menial tasks...unless they're working 16 hour shifts.

I used to work 10-12 hour days with plenty of that time spent in attics crawling through itchy insulation. I thought it was great (well, most of the time). Then I'd hear someone else bitching about a long day in retail where they were "on their feet" all day...oh, and "all day" means "about 8 or 9 hours." I'm not trying to say that I'm a badass, just that they're bitchy whining complainers who would be embarrassed to be in the presence of Mike Rowe. I don't know if I could do all those jobs that he's tried, but I think that I could submit myself to a day of the vast majority of them. I think many people couldn't. It's too bad that people can just suck it up and do what's got to be done.

No comments: