Wednesday, January 29, 2014

First Bike Crash in State College

Don't worry, it wasn't bad.  I was riding my bike through the parking garage to put it on E's car and go pick her up.  I was in a bit of a hurry, so I was riding full bore (but that's not much in a parking garage unless you're on a downhill stretch...luckily I was on a flat section).  I went to turn left (hey, at least it wasn't turning right) and I leaned in to the turn.  I know that in snowy/icy conditions that you should remain more upright, but I was inside the parking garage.  Apparently there was a thin layer of ice on the ground and not even my Ice Spiker Pro tires could keep their grip.

Luckily, there were not any moving cars nearby when I took my spill...I landed on one wrist, then the other (oops) and then in slow motion, my chin hit the ground.  I guess that's where the full face helmets come in handy.

After the fall, I laid there for a bit assessing the damage.  Lucky for me it was just a bit of a red spot on the heels of my hands and probably an eminent bruise on my chin.  As I went to get up, I noticed how slippery the ground was.  I couldn't even see the ice when I was inches away from it!  I'm ready for some spring time riding without accumulated snow, ice, or below-zero temperatures/wind chills.

No comments: