Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm Making Bio Fuels

I was talking to Andrew the other day about things we could do to help out the environment. He said that we should plant a rain garden and maybe use rain barrels to filter runoff before it goes to the storm drain and collect it before it gets there, respectively. That's a little ways off from now and both things would require an investment in startup expenses. Andrew said that he'd contribute to those things if we decide to do them.

In the meantime, we had an idea about the fat we collect from cooking meat and the vegetable oil that's left over after cooking in it. A friend of mine has a biodiesel Jetta and I was curious if she could put that waste in her car. Turns out that she can. I'm going to save it until I get at least a half gallon then call her up to come get it. I collect this stuff anyway instead of dumping it down my drain. It's nice to be able to put it to a good use instead of throwing it out. If you have friends with a biodiesel, then you should consider doing this for them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.