Monday, April 16, 2012

Running on Broken Glass

I guess it had to happen sooner or later.  I stepped on some broken glass while I was running yesterday.  I didn't get hurt too badly and it was only about 2 minutes into my run, so I didn't have that far to hobble back to my house.  I wasn't injured very much.  In fact, I put on some shoes after I cleaned out my foot and went for a 4 miler.

I noticed a high concentration of glass pieces on the ground yesterday about a minute into the run.  I dodged a bunch of them.  I didn't see the piece I ended up stepping on.  It stuck to my left foot when I first struck it and I felt it there again when my left foot struck the ground again.  At this point it felt like a small rock on the bottom of my foot and I thought it would just come off or I might have to use my hand to get rid of it.  On the next left footfall my brain got a different kind of pain message and I hopped on my right foot.  I pulled out the piece of glass.  Luckily it was just a puncture and not a big cut.  It wasn't very deep.  I wonder if it would have even bothered me if I had lots of leather on the bottoms of my feet.  I had a track coach in high school who was a barefoot runner and broken glass didn't phase that guy.  Maybe it'd be best to find routes less likely to have a glass problem.

No comments: