Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Globes & Maps

The Strozier Library has a nice collection of globes and maps in the basement. There are some cool globes that are unlike any I've ever seen. For instance, one of them is an elevation map, but instead of just being different colors, the land is 3-D...the mountains actually pop out!

There are weird filing cabinets that you can get the maps out of...they're long and wide and shallow. I'm not sure how they're organized (although I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out).

There are all sorts of maps, but I think the ones that interest me the most are political maps. Especially old ones where you can see different names for countries (like Czechoslovakia) or different borders...or East&West Germany... I like really old maps where things are the wrong size/shape. I like non-Mercator maps and maps with labels not in English. One map that they don't have that I would like to see is a map of the plots on the moon that people bought on eBay and what real estate is left for me to buy!

No comments: